The Snowball Derby may be behind us, but we can still look back on other fond memories from racing's past. Here are some short track moments from December 8, including quite a few from the Derby.
- Way back in 1968 Bobby Allison won the Alabama 200 at Montgomery Motor Speedway (AL). The race at Montgomery was a big deal, and just one week later the Snowball Derby was born in Pensacola, Florida. The race was held in 1968, but was actually the second race of the 1969 NASCAR Grand National season. Richard Petty was second.
THE THIRD TURN: 1969 Alabama 200 at Montgomery Motor Speedway
- On this day in 1974, Pete Hamilton returned to Five Flags Speedway (FL) to finish what he started a year ago. Hamilton sat on the pole in the 1973 Snowball Derby, but was sent to the rear following technical inspection. Hamilton vowed to return and win the race, and he did in 1974 from the pole after leading 102 of the 200 laps. Two-time winner Dickie Davis was second and could have been the first three time winner, Neil Bonnett posted third.
THE THIRD TURN: 1974 Snowball Derby at Five Flags Speedway
- In his 14th try at the Snowball Derby, Jody Ridley finally made it all work under the Pensacola sun in 1985. Ridley started fourth and led 116 of the 205 laps. After finishing second in 1980 and 1983, this was the chance to get the monkey off his back. Ridley beat a strong effort for Rusty Wallace and former winner Dave Mader, III.
THE THIRD TURN: 1985 Snowball Derby at Five Flags Speedway
- December 8 is a special day for Rich Bickle because he won two Snowball Derby races on this date. Those wins came in 1991 and 1996. In the 1991 running, Bickle beat out Jeff Purvis who had led 194 laps that day. Jason Keller was third. In 1996, it was Darrell Brown in second to Bickle who led 42 laps and Jeff Purvis was third after winning the Snowball in 1995.
- Another Snowball memory happened today in 2013, as Erik Jones got the win for the second-straight year after Chase Elliott was disqualified in post race tech. Elliott led 233 laps in the dominating performance. Jones started 12th and led no laps on the day. Grant Enfinger would end up second in the tech line after the DQ.
THE THIRD TURN: 2013 Snowball Derby at Five Flags Speedway