Last Lap Fireworks Lead to First-Time SRL Winner
Jun 20, 2022
The NASCAR Cup Series may have had the weekend off, but there was still plenty of racing excitement on Father's Day weekend. Here is a look at some statistics and notes from the weekend that was.
- There have now been 10 different winners in 13 races this season in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series following Todd Gilliland's victory at Knoxville Raceway(IA). Zane Smith added his series-leading seventh top-five run and 11th in the top 10. His stats have been very good this season as he came from 15th to post a third-place run.
- The NASCAR Truck race was much cleaner than a year ago at Knoxville. Only 30% of the laps run this year were under caution, averaging runs close to 12 laps of green. A year ago, 44.7% of the race was under yellow and the green flag runs were under seven laps at a time.
- The record books will show that Bubba Pollard finished second in the SRX race at Five Flags Speedway (FL) on Saturday. Pollard won his first heat and made up spots in heat two to earn a top starting spot. A flat tire left him at the back of the pack after a handful of laps. At the end of the night he ended up second to Helio Castroneves.
- George Gorham scored two podiums on the same night at Citrus County Speedway (FL), as he won one race and was second in the other. Michael Atwell won the other race in the Twin 50’s at Citrus.
- Daniel Dye led 192 laps from the pole in the ARCA Series race at Berlin Raceway (MI) and didn’t get the win after electrical problems. Sammy Smith was able to capitalize and pick up his first series win.
- Finally, after 21 starts, Jace Hansen wins an SRL race after getting the job done at Kern County Raceway (CA). The finish also marked his third top five run in five races this year.
- Justin Bonsignore posted his fourth-career NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour win at Monadnock Speedway (NH) on Sunday. He’s completed every lap he’s ever run at Monadnock and has been in the top 10 in every race. He’s also on a streak of eight straight top fives at the track.
- Sheldon Haudenschild picked up his sixth and seventh World of Outlaws wins of the season, sweeping the weekend at Beaver Dam Raceway (WI). It’s a good track for him as he has now won his last three starts at the venue.
- John Holleman IV became the eight different Modified winner of the season at Bowman Gray Stadium. Jonathan Brown won the first race of the Twin 50s to bring his total to three on the season. This also marks the fifth straight race a driver with a name starting with the letter “J” has won.
- Mike Looney brought his season win total to five after he pocketed both ends of the Motor Mile Speedway (VA) doubleheader this past weekend. Looney is looking to add another track title to his racing career.
-Photo credit: Kyle Rivas/Getty Images