JEGS/CRA All-Stars Tour
Augie Grill Breaks Late Model Slump in Major Way at Speedfest
Jan 29, 2023
Lots of eyes were on SpeedFest this weekend, but there was other racing news and events this weekend as well. Here is a glance at the racing world from the last weekend in January.
- Bubba Pollard started off his 2023 East Coast season with a win at SpeedFest 2023 at Crisp Motorsports Park (GA). Pollard now has three wins, tying him with Chase Elliott and Kyle Busch in this event. This win marks his 150th career Late Model win since he started touring away from his weekly track.
- It was a solid performance by second-place runner Corey Heim, who posted his third top five run at SpeedFest.
- Augie Grill was the surprise winner in the Pro Late Model JEGS event a SpeedFest. Grill has won a bunch of races in the south, but he’d never won on SpeedFest weekend.
- Michael Hinde followed up his 2022 SpeedFest Pro Late Model win with a deep starting effort of 16th. By the end of the race he’d worked his way to third when the checkered flag flew, giving him two podium finishes in two starts.
- Grill and Pollard winning on the same day at the same track together is nothing new. They did it twice at the World Series at New Smyrna in 2019. One night, Grill won a Pro Late Model race, and the next he won a Modified race. Pollard won the Super Late Model race both nights. At the Rattler weekend in 2012 at South Alabama Speedway, they ran both the Rattler 250 and Pro Late Model Rattler 125 on Sunday due to rain. Pollard won the 250 and Grill won the Baby Rattler.
- The big ASA Stars Tour news this week unveiled the $25,000 to win Championship purse that features big payments back through the top 10. In all, the points fund will be awarding $100,000 in prize money.
- NASCAR drivers Harrison Burton and Zane Smith got a win at Daytona on the Road Course on Friday. Smith and Burton took the victory in the BMW M Endurance Challenge. Smith was the 2022 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Champion, and Burton drives for the Wood Brothers in the NASCAR Cup Series. They are the first NASCAR regulars to win this race.
- We lost a lot of things due to Covid in and around 2020. One thing we got back this weekend was the 2021 Gamblers Classic which was run on the same weekend as the 2023 event. In the 2021 version, Andy Jankowiak got his third-straight win, but only if you look at the races in order. Ryan Flores won the 2022 race before the 2021 event was held. In the 2023 version, Anthony Sesely took the win over Jankowiak. Sesely now has four wins in the event.
- Not very often do Late Model races happen in North Carolina in January, but Caraway Speedway (NC) had to finish the 2022 season. Jason York won the 75-lap Late Model Stock race over Chase Murphy, and AJ Sanders was victorious in the Mini Stock round.
- In Deep Florida, the Super Late Models were in action at Auburndale Speedway (FL) for twin 50-lap races. Jeff Scofield won the first race over Cody Stickler and Michael Cherry. In race two, Cody Stickler got the win over Chase Lovelady and TJ DeCaire.