With a new year upon us, our Throwback Thursday look at racing history returns. Here are memorable moments from racing on January 12.
- On this date in 1980, Dave Hill won the Stock Car Products 300 at Riverside International Raceway (CA). Hill beat out Ray Elder for the win. Elder was tough at Riverside as he won twice as a NASCAR West Series driver competing against the NASCAR Cup Series. A young unknown Californian named Ernie Irvan finished third.
THE THIRD TURN: 1980 Stock Car Products 300 at Riverside International Raceway
- Back in 1991, Dick Anderson won the Red Eye 100 at New Smyrna Speedway (FL). David Russell was second and Greg Froeming was third in the 100-lap race. This victory was the second-straight for Dick Anderson in this race.
THE THIRD TURN: 1991 Red Eye 100 at New Smyrna Speedway
Also in 1991, Lealand McSpadden won the Chili Bowl Nationals in the fifth running of the race. McSpadden almost did the double in 1992 as he finished second to Sammy Swindell. He was a DNQ in 1993 and he’d never run the Nationals again.
THE THIRD TURN: 1991 Chili Bowl Nationals at Tulsa Expo Raceway
- It was the first time for Tony Stewart when he won the Chili Bowl Nationals in 2002. Stewart beat out Kevin Doty and Cory Kruseman for the win. Stewart would win again in 2007. Stewart posted seven top 10 runs in 12 starts at the Chili Bowl.
THE THIRD TURN: 2002 Chili Bowl Nationals at Tulsa Expo Raceway
- Back when Pro Late Models ruled in the state of Georgia, there was an event that kicked of their season each year. The Ice Cold Shriners Bowl at Lanier had a short run, but it also had some great racing. In 2008, Joey Senter scored the win over Ronnie Sanders and Dennis Reno, Jr. This was the first of four Ice Cold Shriners Bowl. Shane Swayer, Bubba Pollard and David Ragan all tasted victory there.
THE THIRD TURN: 2008 Ice Cold Shriners Bowl at Lanier National Speedway
- This date is extra special for Kevin Swindell, who won events at the Chili Bowl Nationals in 2012 and 2013. First up, Swindell won a qualifying race on this date in 2012. He came back on the same day in 2013 and won the main event. The 2013 victory was his fourth consecutive victory in the Chili Bowl Nationals, a record still unmatched.
THE THIRD TURN: 2013 Chili Bowl Nationals at Tulsa Expo Raceway