Super Late Models
Snowball Derby Run Fills Brad Keselowski with Nostalgia
Dec 1, 2022
Feature racing during the 55th Annual Snowball Derby presented by Hooters begins Thursday night, with the Five Flags Speedway Pro Trucks, Sportsmen and Pure Stocks on track. Here are 10 Things to Know about all of the local divisions in action this week during the Snowball Derby.
- This will be the sixth Snowball Derby weekend to feature the Outlaws on the racing card. Prior to the class being adjusted, they ran Super Stocks back into the 1980s. The Outlaws have averaged 40 cars over the last three years and the pre-race entry list is approaching that ahead of the Saturday show.
- The Outlaw field is packed with former winners like Jay Jay Day (Outlaw 2020), Grant Thompson (Trucks 2020), Gary Sutton (Super Stocks 2012), Bubba Winslow (Outlaw 2017), Korey Ruble (Mods 2016) and many more
- The Modifieds of Mayhem will finish their 2022 season on Friday night at Five Flags Speedway (FL) with a 75-lap race. Cars counts have been in the 30s the last few years, with 42 making the call last year.
- Former Modifieds of Mayhem winners Augie Grill (3), Jeff Letson (3), Donnie Hamrac (3), Cody Strickler (1), and Derrick Griffin (1) lead the list of entries, while a championship will be crowned in the series. Jaxon Bishop leads Brandon Curren by 22 points.
- Another somewhat new class is the Pro Trucks, who will battle for 50 laps early in the week. They have averaged 28 trucks during the first nine events at the Snowball Derby, with only one repeat winner in Jarrett Parker
- The Pro Truck cast of characters has a lot of flavor with former Snowball Derby Outlaw winners Jay Jay Day and John Heil, former Super Stock Derby winner Okie Mason, and 1993 Sportsman Derby winner Bubba Gale. Also in the mix is track point champion Logan Boyett, who is doing double duty in the Outlaw race after the truck event.
- The Pure Stocks will go for 35 laps on Thursday at the 55th Annual Snowball Derby at Five Flags Speedway (FL). Entry level racing has been a part of the Snowball weekend since the 70s when the Spectator cars were in action.
- Robert Loper is the defending race winner in the Pure Stocks class. He also won the race in 2015 and 2017 on Snowball Derby weekend. He’s not racing this weekend, but Steve Buttrick won four-straight and five overall times in this division.
- The Sportsman 50 will be one of the big shows on Thursday night at the Snowball Derby. The 50-lap contest will be a true test of endurance and stamina.
- Brannon Fowler is a three time winner of the Sportsman 50 at the Snowball Derby. He also won the 2022 track championship so he will be one of the drivers to watch on Thursday.
-Story by: Elgin Traylor
-Photo credit: Will Bellamy/Racing America