With a new year upon us, racing is starting to pick back up around the country. Here are some highlights from short track racing events over the weekend.
- The SMART Modified tour released their 2023 schedule and one glaring standout is a race at the Little Rockingham (NC) track scheduled for October. The facility has hosted Allison Legacy racing, but it has never hosted a Modified event. All eyes will be on Rockingham for this first race.
- Tommy O’Sullivan won a wild Street Stock BASH event at Dillon Motor Speedway (SC). The wild affair took over three hours to complete, but mostly due to the driving in the race as the track crew earned their keep in keeping the race going with multiple wrecks.
- Daniel Webster won a deep SRL Sportsman Series event at Freedom Factory (FL) on Saturday. The series had five different winners in six races and Webster makes six in the last seven.
- A dangerous combination is on the racing scene in 2023. Casey Roderick and Anthony Campi Racing have started their quest to dominate the Super Late Model world. After these two teamed up for the Snowflake 100 win last December for the Pro Late Model, we quickly get to see them in a Super. The first win comes in the Red Eye 50 at New Smyrna Speedway (FL) where many greats have started their seasons in the past.
- On the Pro Late Model side at New Smyrna, it was Michael Hinde winning over Brent Crews in a flash race that took only 20 minutes to complete.
- Josh Spears and Carson Haislip won the Legend races at Dillon Motor Speedway over the weekend.
- Robert Strimska won the Mini Stock race at Dillon. It should come as no surprise as he won 7 of the 11 races last year on the Carolina Mini Stock Tour.