Throwback Schemes Always a Hit at New Year's Bash
Jan 4, 2023
Get in the zone for the New Year's Bash at Dillon Motor Speedway with this preview of the weekend's racing.
- This year will mark the 13th year for the New Year’s Bash at Dillon Motor Speedway (SC). The annual event has become popular across the southeast and has drawn cars from the midwest and New England.
- Dillon Motor Speedway (SC) is the unique venue for the drivers making their way to Dillon, South Carolina. The four-tenths of a mile track is fast, but just under a half mile to be tight for the deep field.
- Once again, the winner of the Street Stock race will receive $2,500. Track owner Ron Barfield has also put up $500 for the winner of the B Main event. The Legends cars will race for $300 on Sunday and the CMSC 4 Cylinder will battle for $700.
- Race time will feature the UCAR/Pure Stock 30 lap race, the Challengers 75-lap race and the Legends for 30-laps on Saturday night. On Sunday the B Main Street Stock race will take place to start the day, followed by the 4 Cylinder 60-lap race, the New Year’s Bash Street Stock 100, and a second Legends Car 30-lap event.
READ MORE: New Year's Bash Kicks Off Racing Season at Dillon
- One year ago, 51 drivers attempted to make the 100-lap Street Stock main event. Only 33 cars made the race with the rest doing battle in the B-Main event.
- 14 of the 33 drivers finished the race on the lead lap in 2022.
- Sonny Schoffen was the second-place driver in 2022, and it should come as no surprise as he has won four Mid-Atlantic Street Stock races at Dillon. He had posted two fourths and a second in the New Year’s Bash race, but the recent years had been rough. A string of finishes in 20th or worse was ended with the second-place run last year.
- The victory by Kyle Lynch last year was very much a Cinderella story. Lynch has run nearly forty races in the Mid-Atlantic Street Stock Championship Series. He posted some good runs, but had no victories until last January.
- Below are the past winners of the Street Stock event at Dillon. Gary Ledbetter Jr. has five wins in the race.
2022 Kyle Lynch
2021 Bobbie Tumbleston
2020 Gary Ledbetter Jr.
2019 Gary Ledbetter Jr.
2018 Jeff Melton
2017 Gary Ledbetter Jr.
2016 Ricky Locklair, Jr.
2015 Jeff Melton
2014 James Swan
2013 Gary Ledbetter Jr.
2012 Gary Ledbetter Jr.
2011 Kevin Benton
- If you can’t be in Dillon, South Carolina this weekend then watch all the action live with Racing America. Both Saturday and Sunday races will be live for fans to watch.