Super Late Models
Third Time is the Charm as Derek Thorn Claims Snowball Derby
Dec 5, 2022
- Finally after back-to-back second place runs Derek Thorn wins the Snowball Derby over Sammy Smith and Stephen Nasse. Thorn won from the outside of the front row and became the second driver to take car number 43 to victory lane after Rich Bickle did it once back in the 1990s.
- California drivers had big days in Pensacola as Derek Thorn won the race and Jacob Gomes won the $10,000 bonus for being the top rookie with a ninth-place run.
- Preston Peltier won the Last Chance Qualifier for the Snowball Derby just a few hours after he put his car on the front row for the Allen Turner Snowflake 100. Derek Kraus made the Snowball Derby for the eighth straight year and fourth time out of the Last Chance Race. Michael House was the lone rookie to make the race out of the last chance event.
- Casey Roderick went flag-to-flag to win the Allen Turner Snowflake 100 after midnight as a brief shower caused a long delay on Saturday night.
READ MORE: Casey Roderick Claims Midnight Snowflake 100
- The season is not over for some at Five Flags Speedway. After waiting out the rain the Snowflake 100 was run, thick fog rolled in and the Outlaw race was moved to next Saturday as the track was not safe for a race due to visibility.
- On Friday night, Cody Strickler won the Modifieds of Mayhem 75 lap race for the second-straight year at Five Flags Speedway (FL). Along the way Jaxon Bishop won the series championship after a fourth-place finish.
- Augie Grill has won three times in the Modified ranks at the Snowball Derby. His second-place finish on Friday night gave him four podium finishes in the Modified and 11 overall between the Mods and the Pro and Super Late Model events.
- One year after losing the Pro Truck feature in the tech line, Casey Roderick won it back after race winner Allen Carter was disqualified. Roderick followed up his Truck win with a Snowflake 100 victory on Saturday.
- James Holingsworth won the 35-lap Pure Stock event on Thursday night to open up the on-track action at Five Flags Speedway (FL). The big story in the race was third-place finisher Cameron Leytham who had his race car roll back into a pool the night before when they were unloading it. They got it fixed and finished third after being under water.
- Jonathan Langham won the Sportsman 50-lap feature for the first time in his career. The race has featured seven different winners in the last seven seasons.