NASCAR Cup Series
Clutch Performance Personified in Christopher Bell, JGR No. 20
Oct 31, 2022
- For the first time in 16 NASCAR Cup Series races at Martinsville Speedway (VA), the winner came from 20th or worst in the starting order. Christopher Bell started 20th and won in the number 20 ride. The most recent to start that deep was Dale Earnhardt Jr. in 2014. Kurt Busch came from 36th in 2002.
READ MORE: Clutch Performance Personified in Christopher Bell, JGR No. 20
- Denny Hamlin finished fifth and led 203 laps, but the video-game move by Ross Chastain in the final two turns did him in as the points swung from being in the final four to not being in the final round at Phoenix. The front four heading to Phoenix feature 13 wins, 10 poles and 48 top five finishes.
READ MORE: Why Not? Inside Trackhouse and Ross Chastain's Martinsville Pass
- JR Motorsports gets three drivers into the NASCAR Xfinity Series finale at Phoenix Raceway (AZ). Noah Gragson and Josh Berry had wins, but Justin Allgaier had to race his way in during the final laps. The JR Motorsports cars will have Ty Gibbs from Joe Gibbs Racing joining them next week for a shot at the title.
- When Stephen Nasse sailed under the checkered in the All American 400, he did it after starting 22nd at the Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway (TN). Nasse became the deepest driver to win the race since Freddie Query won from 31st in 1998. Nasse came from 12th a few weeks back to win the Winchester 400.
READ MORE: Stephen Nasse Wins Explosive All American 400
- Stephen Nasse led just two laps and won the All American 400. This continues a trend in the event of drivers leading the most laps but failing to win the race. In the past 10 years, the leader of the most laps has only won twice.
- The victory by Nasse also marked the 17th consecutive race (combination or standalone) where there has been a different winner. The Fairgrounds Speedway at Nashville is so tough that repeat winners are a hard thing to come by in recent years.
- The surprise winner on Saturday in the Pro Late Model division at the All American 400 was Jake Bollman, who came into the night seventh in the points. What was not a surprise was Dylan Fetcho, who posted a third-place run to clinch the Pro Late Model Track Championship again. He was also the Track Champion in 2020.
READ MORE: Champions Collide, First-Time Winner Crowned in Nashville PLM Finale
- Picking up his third win of 2022, Derek Gluchacki closed the books on the 2022 ACT season. Gluchacki was third in the final points behind series champion DJ Shaw who also won three races. Rookie Alexandre Tardiff was second in points with six top fives and seven top 10s.
- The aggressive 2022 PASS Super Late Model schedule concluded at Waterford Speedbowl (CT) on Saturday. Eddie MacDonald won for the second time this season as there were 10 Different Winners in 18 races this season. Ryan Kuhn would finish four to win his first PASS North title.
- It was announced earlier in the week that the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour would have a schedule with 19 races on it. This is the most on the Modified Tour since the 2004 season. The highlight of the announcement was the series’ first trip to North Wilkesboro Speedway (NC).