NASCAR Cup Series
How Sonoma Was a Win For Trackhouse's Foundation
Jun 13, 2022
NASCAR made its annual trip to wine country this weekend, and crowned a first time winner in the process. Here are statistics of note from Sonoma and much more in the racing world.
- Daniel Suarez became the 12th different driver to win a race this season in 16 shows. At the rate we are going, the playoffs could be filled with winners if new faces keep popping up. Suarez is the fourth different first-time winner this season.
- California native Kevin Harvick used the home cooking at Sonoma Raceway to post another solid finish, Harvick scored his sixth top 10 in his last seven starts at Sonoma.
- With his victory at Sonoma, Kyle Busch has now won at 20 different tracks on the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series schedule.
- This was the first truck race at Sonoma since 1998, and there were a lot of things that happened. A record number of lead changes happened this year with 10. They tied the record for most cautions and the most trucks to start a race at Sonoma. It was also the first Toyota Truck to win on the road course.
- Hard to stay off the dirt when a driver pockets $1,002,022 for a Super Late Model victory. Jonathan Davenport scored the big win and got the big check after winning the Eldora Million earlier in the week.
- Jake Drew has won the last two ARCA Menard Series West races from the front row. He’s been second or better in his last three starts and in the top five in all starts this season.
- Augie Grill finished fifth for his first top-five in the Southern Super Series since 2019. Grill finished third at Montgomery on that occasion.
- Don’t look now, but Johnny Clark has been second in both PASS races at Oxford Plains Speedway (ME) this season. Rowland Robinson, Jr. had himself a solid weekend with a fourth on Sunday and a second on Saturday night in the weekly series Super Late Model event.
- Josh Berry’s 40th career win at Hickory Motor Speedway was a memorable one as he beat some of the best in the region in the first Jack Ingram Memorial 111. Berry beat out his teammate Carson Kvapil and Layne Riggs.
- Jason Myers became the sixth different winner in nine races at Bowman Gray Stadium (NC) on Saturday night. A few hours later, Junior Snow became the seventh winner in 10 races in a season that has left many scratching their heads. How will the championship play out?
-Photo credit: Sean Gardner/Getty Images