- At the Southern State Fairgrounds Speedway in Charlotte, North Carolina, Speedy Thompson won on the date back in 1951. It was a National NASCAR Modified race that Thompson won over Jimmy Thompson and Charlie Rush. Fireball Roberts was fifth and Ralph Earnhardt was eighth.
- The USAC Stock Cars hosted a race on this date in 1963 at The Milwaukee Mile (WI). Parnelli Jones won the race over Rodger Ward. It was announced yesterday that the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series will return to the track in 2023.
THE THIRD TURN: 1963 USAC Stock Car Series at The Milwaukee Mile
- Richard Petty won on this date at what is now known as Dover Motor Speedway in 1974. Petty won at Dover some seven time from 1969 to 1984. Some forget that Dover was the site of Petty’s 199th career win.
THE THIRD TURN: 1974 Delaware 500 at Dover Downs International Speedway
- When you have a long 200-lap contest at a venue like Mobile International Speedway (AL) it’s about survival. On this date in 1984 In All Pro Series action, Daniel Keene outlasted several key runners to win at Mobile. Butch Lindley led 20 laps from the pole, but he was out before halfway. Gary Balough led nearly 100 laps, but he was out 15 laps from the finish paving the way for Keene.
THE THIRD TURN: 1984 All Pro Super Series at Mobile International Speedway
- This date in history found us right in the middle of the famous Harry Gant win streak back in 1991. Once again, Dover is the backdrop for the third win of four in the streak. Gant started 10th and led 326 laps to win the race by more then a lap. One pivitol moment in the race was Gant avoiding a 15-car wreck before the lap 100 mark.
THE THIRD TURN: 1991 Peak AntiFreeze 500 at Dover Downs International Speedway
- On this day in 2002, Ryan Newman scored the first of his 18 career NASCAR Cup Series wins at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. Rain shortened the distance of the race to 207 laps, with Newman finishing ahead of Kurt Busch and Tony Stewart. The win was a sign of things to come in 2003, when "Rocketman" scored eight wins and 11 pole positions during a breakout sophomore season.
THE THIRD TURN: 2002 New Hampshire 300 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway
-Photo credit: Donald Miralle/Getty Images