Nearly 40 Modifieds Headed to North Wilkesboro This Week
Jul 31, 2022
After months of anticipation and years of hopeful yearning, racing returns to North Wilkesboro Speedway this week. The Touring Modifieds take center stage to kick off the Racetrack Revival on August 2-3. Ahead of the midweek racing from the iconic venue, here are 10 thing to know.
- One of the most unique tracks around is the North Wilkesboro Speedway (NC). The 0.625 oval races differently at both ends because you race uphill on the back stretch with a gain of elevation and you race downhill on the front stretch. This changes the approach to the corners on each end of the track.
- Jason Myers, Burt Myers and Gary Putnam all had the pleasure of taking part in the last Modified race run at North Wilkesboro. Junior Miller won the independent 100-lap event, which was run with the PASS Super Late Model event in 2011. All three of those drivers will be part of this week's Modified racing at North Wilkesboro
- Prior to the aforementioned event, Burt Myers only had two starts at North Wilkesboro with the SMART Tour. Both were 17th-place finishes. There are possibly other events that are not documented.
- We may be putting the cart before the horse, but this is a new track for Big Money Matt Hirschman. A win would mark the 34th different track he’s won at by our records.
- We have to talk about how deep this field is with the likes of Ryan Newman, Ryan Preece, Matt Hirschman and several others from both the North and the South. Let’s see who will have bragging rights after two feature events this week.
- Modifieds at North Wilkesboro are nothing new, as they began running there in 1948 where Red Byron won the first race over Fonty Flock and Tim Flock.
THE THIRD TURN: Event History at North Wilkesboro Speedway
- Up until 1957, North Wilkesboro Speedway was actually a dirt track. Nearly 40 NASCAR events across several series were run at the venue before it was paved. After Jeff Gordon won the last NASCAR Cup race there in 1996, the track didn’t host a touring series until 2010.
- Not only will the Modifieds be in action on Tuesday and Wednesday, but they will be joined by support divisions. Mini Stocks and the Carolina Crate Modified Series will be in action for both days.
- This fact really has nothing to do with this weekend other then the venue. We can’t mention North Wilkesboro and not mention Richard Petty. A 15-time winner at the track, Petty led over 5,000 laps and had 33 top five finishes.
THE THIRD TURN: Richard Petty at North Wilkesboro Speedway
- Tickets are available at racetrackrevival.com for fans planning to make the pilgrimage to North Wilkesboro Speedway for the event. However, we understand most fans won’t be able to attend all of the racing throughout the month of August in person.
Through a partnership between XR Events and Racing America, fans unable to attend the Racetrack Revival will be able to watch each day of racing live on Racing America via a la carte pay-per-view options. Fans can also subscribe to XR’s streaming platform XR+ for the month of August for $39.99 and watch every race during the month.