'Kid Roc' Ready to Roll Into 2022 at Thompson
Mar 30, 2022
It's time to break the ice on racing season in New England. Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park's annual spring tradition, the Icebreaker, takes place this weekend. Here are 10 Things to Know going into a busy weekend of racing at the Connecticut 5/8-mile.
- The Outlaw Open Modifieds will go 125 laps at Thompson. The Modifieds have long been a part of this annual New England kickoff Event that dates back into the 60s.
- There will be nine total races this weekend, with five on Saturday and four on Sunday. On Saturday, the Sunoco Modifieds will go for 40 laps, NEMA Lites will have 25 circuits, the PASS Super Late Models will have 75 laps on the big track, the Mini Stocks will have 20 laps and the Pro Truck Series will go for 35 laps. On Sunday, the Limited Sportsman and SK Lites have 25 lap features, as the Late Models will have 35 laps. It all ends with the Outlaw Open Mods going for 125 laps.
- Bobby Santos, III will be a name to follow this weekend. A year ago, he was third in the Modified race and he won the NEMA Lite race.
- You can’t mention Bobby Santos, III and not mention Keith Rocco. The 2021 Thompson 300 winner was second in the Ice Breaker Modified race last year and he also won the Sunoco Modified feature as well.
- The Pro All Stars Series will be running their 20th event at Thompson and 19th points paying event. Their first race was back in 2002, when Scott Fraser won the non-points race over Rick Fuller.
- Ben Rowe and Derek Griffith both have three wins at Thompson in the past. They have the most wins in all the PASS events run at the track.
- The Icebreaker is the kick-off to the season at Thompson, but the finale will once again be the World Series with a signature event, the Thompson 300.
- There will be 395 laps of feature racing run during the weekend.
- Ron Silk won the Icebreaker Modified portion one year ago. It was the second win for Silk in the historic event as he won back in 2012.
- You can watch all the action live on RacingAmerica.TV - Both days will be covered and you won’t miss a lap of the 2022 Icebreaker. Log on to get more information about the PPV.