NASCAR Cup Series
Denny Hamlin Runs Ross Chastain in the Wall at Pocono, Payback?
Jul 25, 2022
It was definitely a weekend to remember in the racing world. Here are some notable stats and notes from Pocono, Pensacola and all points in between this weekend.
- What was going to be a seventh career win for Denny Hamlin at Pocono Raceway (PA) turned into a fourth win of the season for Chase Elliott after Hamlin and second-place finisher Kyle Busch were disqualified. This is a developing story as of Monday, and more will be heard during the week. The shocking news of the top two being disqualified is the first in a long time for the NASCAR Cup Series.
- Despite the disqualification, there were 29 cars on the lead lap at the end of the race. Along the way, there were 15 lead changes at Pocono. Erik Jones went from 34th to post a ninth-place finish.
- The dominance of JR Motorsports continued with Noah Gragson picking up the second-straight win for the organization and the third of the season for Gragson. JR Motorsports has eight wins this year and has four drivers in the top eight in the standings. Gragson also leads the way with 10 top-five finishes this season.
- Kyle Busch Motorsports flexed some muscle in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series at Pocono Raceway (PA) when they took three of the top four spots. Chandler Smith won the race, leading 49 of the 60 laps. John Hunter Nemechek came from 11th to finish third and Corey Heim came from 17th to finish fourth.
- The Super Late Model Triple Crown kicked off at Oxford Plains Speedway (ME) with Trevor Sanborn picking up the win. The win means a lot in gathering information for the upcoming Oxford 250 in August. Sanborn will need to finish strong in the next two races to gain the automatic starting spot in the 250 should he need it. The top point man in the three-race series will lock into the 250.
- William Sawalich wins the Blizzard Series race over Stephen Nasse and Bubba Pollard to become the third different winner in the Blizzard Series this year. Sawalich had a great weekend as he won the Pro Late Model race on Friday night to sweep the Late Model weekend at Five Flags Speedway (FL).
- When it comes to the Summer Showdown at Evergreen Speedway (WA) this is one driver who has been head and shoulders above the rest. Preston Peltier won the event for the fourth time in his career. After three straight wins and a near miss in 2016, Peltier came into the weekend having led 625 laps in the race's history. He added to his totals with another big win and check.
- Back on the east coast, the Late Model Stock Car Hampton Heat 200 was held at Langley Speedway (VA). This was the 14th running of the race and the victory by Jared Fryar marked the 12th different winner in the race's history. Despite the race taking over two hours to run, there were 20 cars on the lead lap.
- For the second-straight year Chase Elliott wins an SRX event, and this time it’s on dirt at Sharon Speedway (OH). Marco Andretti won the series title by two points over Ryan Newman. Both drivers finished all six races in the top 10 and Newman had more top five runs, but Andretti was able to top him on points.
- Finally, the points leader gets a win at Bowman Gray Stadium (NC) in the Modified ranks. Tim Brown and Brandon Ward came into the night tied for the points lead, but Ward would leave with it after his first win of the season. The victory in the 100-lap race was his seventh at the track and he marked the 11th different winner of the season.