A whopping 97 cars started the Modified race on this date in 1952 at the Daytona Beach and Road Course. Tim Flock was flagged the winner, but he failed post-race inspection, giving the win to Jack Smith over Curtis Turner. It was the only time that Jack Smith won on the beach.
THE THIRD TURN: 1952 NASCAR Modifieds at Daytona Beach and Road Course
- On this day in 1979, Junior Hanley and Richie Evans each won feature events at New Smyrna Speedway (FL) during the World Series of Asphalt Stock Car Racing. For Hanley, it was only his second win at the track, but he would go on to win a total of 47 races in Super Late Model and three in Tour Modifieds. For Evans, it was his sixth win at New Smyrna. He won 38 times in 70 starts.
- In 1980, Gary Balough won on the second night at New Smyrna Speedway (FL) during the World Series. Balough was lights out during the 1980 Speedweeks, winning the first five races of the week in a row before destroying the car while leading on the sixth night. He was injured and the car was done for Speedweeks.
- Dale Earnhardt won the traditional 20-lap sprint Busch Clash on this date in 1986. This was the second win in the Clash for Earnhardt, who would go on to win a total of six times in this race. Earnhardt started fourth and passed Neil Bennett for the win in the caution free race.
THE THIRD TURN: 1986 Busch Clash at Daytona International Speedway
- On these dates in 2002 and 2003, the final two NASCAR Dash Events were held at Daytona International Speedway (FL). Robert Huffman won both races to bring his career total to four, tying him with Mike Swaim. The 2002 running was extended by a green-white checkered finish and the 2003 event was shortened by rain.
- Derek Griffith celebrated his birthday in style on this day in 2021. Griffith scored a Super Late Model win on the fifth night of that year's World Series of Asphalt Stock Car Racing, finishing ahead of Jesse Love and Stephen Nasse.