NASCAR Cup Series
Kevin Harvick Breaks Long Winless Drought at Michigan
Aug 8, 2022
From the return of racing to North Wilkesboro to the NASCAR Cup Series playoff bubble getting even tighter at Michigan, there was a lot of storylines to follow in the racing world this week. Here are some statistics of note from the week that was.
- Kevin Harvick ended his 65-race winless streak in the Cup Series at Michigan International Speedway. Harvick became the 15th different driver to win a race this season after leading a race-high 38 laps.
- Leading the train of drivers without a win is Ryan Blaney, who posted his eighth top-five run of the season and 11th in the top-10. Blaney will need every point he can muster, as he hopes for a win himself or to remain the highest guy in points without a win. Three races remain before the playoffs.
- Ty Gibbs scored his fifth win of the 2022 season in the NASCAR Xfinity Series at Michigan International Speedway. Gibbs has nine wins in 39 starts. Imagine the number he could post after his first full season in the series.
- With his third win in the Gandrud Auto Group 250 at Wisconsin International Raceway, or the Dixieland 250 as it was formerly known, Ty Majeski adds to his impressive resume with 16 extra-distance wins in Late Model Racing. We consider an extra distance more than 150 laps. Majeski has a Snowball Derby win, five Rattler wins, three Florida Governor’s Cup 200 wins, a pair of Slinger National wins and victories at Kern County Raceway and Florence Motor Speedway in longer distances races.
- For the eighth time in the last 14 races, Jake Garcia went to victory lane at Montgomery Motor Speedway (AL) in the Show Me The Money Series. Garica leads the points this year and despite all his wins he seems close to his first title.
- The Roahrig family shop added yet another Summer Sizzler check after this past week. Tyler Roahrig won his seventh Summer Sizzler at New Paris Speedway (IN). Overall, the family has nine wins in the event and the victory checks are plastered all over the shop walls.
- Matt Hirschman added to his legacy after his win on the second night at the North Wilkesboro Speedway (NC). The 50-lap win marked the 34th different track that he’s won at in his career. Hirschman’s number is impressive, as based on our records Richie Evans has wins from at least 38 tracks in his career.
- Night one at North Wilkesboro went to Modified ringer Ryan Newman, who showed all summer he still has it after some strong performances in the SRX Series. Newman outlasted Hirschman for the win on night one.
- Ryan Kuhn remained red hot after winning the final leg of the Oxford Triple Crown Series on Saturday. Kuhn won the most recent race at Seekonk in July. Trevor Sanborn was awarded the three-race triple crown championship.
- Burt Myers finished off a solid week with a 100-lap Modified win at Bowman Gray Stadium (NC) for his 87th career win. It was also his fifth race of the week in which he posted top-fives in all after collecting some good finishes at North Wilkesboro in both Touring Modified and Crate Modified action.
-Photo credit: Sean Gardner/Getty Images