ASA Southern Super Series
ASA STARS National Tour, Southern Super Series Rewarding World Series Drivers
Feb 8, 2023
As we start the World Series of Asphalt Stock Car Racing at New Smyrna Speedway, here is what you need to know about the nine nights of racing in conjunction with Florida Speedweeks.
- The Super Late Models continue to be the most competitive form of Late Model racing at Speedweeks for the last 20 plus years. In the last 21 years, there have been 20 different drivers to win championships. Derek Griffith returns to seek his third points title, but anyone will tell you there has to be luck involved all week with being fast.
- We expect to see more names pop up on the entry list as the Southern Super Series will be the headline card for the Super Late Models on Tuesday night.
- The streak is still alive for the Pro Late Models, as there is yet to be a repeat champion in the class. 16 years and 16 different drivers have won the points title.
- There have been 57 different winners in 105 races since the Pro Late Model division started. Eventually, the Limited Late Model class was combined into this one. Cole Anderson is the all-time wins leader with six wins.
- We really don’t know what to expect this year with such a high car count for the Tour-Type Modifieds at the World Series. We might see more of the same as last year that one bad night could cost you a points crown.
- A year ago Matt Hirschman won the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour race, the John Blewett, III 76 Memorial and the Richie Evans 100 Memorial and still didn’t win the World Series title. One off night and the Tour race not counting towards weekly points sunk him in for the title.
- It might be hard to top that first NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour race in 2022, but the recipe is there to do so. Last year 31 drivers ran the show with 13 on the lead lap and six lead changes over the 200 laps. This year, more cars will be on hand as drivers look to nab the second trip to New Smyrna.
- Carsten DiGiantomasso is the name to watch in the 602 Modified class. He’s won four of the six races the relatively new division has run in the last few years at New Smyrna.
- The Florida Modifieds are always an exciting division at Speedweek,s and one reason is the history. It’s the only division that will feature 12 prior World Series Champions. Jerry Symons has six and Tank Tucker has four. Bill Burda and Tim Moore have also won a title along the way.
- The nine nights of action will feature 2,036 laps of feature racing and a total of 44 races. This is one of the deepest racing cards we have seen in many years. There were 47 races run in 2011 and 48 in 2009, but since the Limited Late Model class was moved into the Pro Late Models the count has not been this high.