ASA Southern Super Series
Why Southern Super Series is Can't Miss in 2022
Jul 7, 2022
The Southern Super Series heads to the Sunshine State this weekend, racing at New Smyrna Speedway on Saturday. Here are 10 things to know going into the event as the SSS championship battle heats up.
- In the most recent Southern Super Series race, Hunter Robbins finally got the monkey off his back by getting his first win in the series in his 50th start. With the way Robbins has run this season, there is plenty of reason to think that the next win could come much sooner. Robbins has little experience at New Smyrna, but he has countless laps at the remaining tracks.
- New Smyrna Speedway in Florida has long been a proving ground for Late Model and Modified drivers. The host of the annual World Series of Asphalt Stock Car Racing in February, the high-banked half-mile track has seen the best of the best in the country.
- One driver who has been really quiet this season has been Jake Garcia. While Garcia sits fourth in points, he has not won a race. The 2021 series champion has five top-five finishes in eight starts. Garcia has been third in each of the last two races.
- New Smyrna is the type of track where you will have to contend with the local drivers for the victory. Brad May and Bobby Good are two of those drivers who will look to mix it up with the out-of-town crowd.
- The Southern Super Series heads to New Smyrna Speedway (FL) for the first time since the 2019 season. This will be the series' second stop on the high-banked half mile track. Jeff Choquette won that race back in 2019 over Stephen Nasse. That event was the Southern Super Series finale in 2019, with Casey Roderick crowned as champion at day's end.
- Stephen Nasse has been making a point in the battle for the championship. The two-time champion has rattled off eight top-10 finishes and a pair of seconds in the last three races. Nasse is seeking to become the series first three-time champion and he’s going to his home track of New Smyrna.
- There have been seven different winners in eight races this season as the Southern Super Series continues to prove to be one of the most competitive series not only in the southeast, but the country as well.
- The rest of the 2022 schedule will consist of two stops in Pensacola, Florida at Five Flags Speedway (FL) and a return trip to Crisp Motorsports Park (GA). The Southern Super Series will also be part of non-points, co-sanctioned Super Late Model events at North Wilkesboro Speedway's Racetrack Revival, and, of course, the All American 400 at Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway in October.
- Stephen Nasse has an 18 point lead over Hunter Robbins, who won the last race at Tri-County Speedway (NC).
- Watch all the action from New Smyrna Speedway on RacingAmerica.TV - They are the home for the Southern Super Series and much more.