Champions Collide at Slinger This Sunday
Apr 19, 2022
It's a massive start to the season for Slinger Super Speedway Saturday. The track's first ever Elite 8 Super Late Model Series season kicks off with a joint event alongside the ARCA Midwest Tour, making its inaugural visit to the quarter-mile.
Ahead of the big race, here are 10 Things to Know about this year at Slinger.
- 2022 will mark 75 years of racing at Slinger Super Speedway. The track opened in 1948 and races were held on the clay surface until 1973.
- The race is a unique format for the 34 drivers who have pre-entered for the season opening. The Super Late Models race will feature two 30-lap showdown races ahead of the “Miracle on the High Banks” 75-lap feature event.
- A driver has won three-straight Super Late Model track championships seven times in Slinger history. The most championships by any driver is Lowell Bennett, who has a total of seven track titles. He’s not alone near the top as Conrad Morgan has six titles, while Al Schill, Sr. and Steve Apel have five apiece.
- Luke Fenhaus won the Slinger Speedway track championship in the Super Late Model division in 2021. Fenhaus captured the title over Rich Bickle by 27 points. Despite being second in the ARCA Midwest points last year, Fenhaus is carrying the flag at Slinger for the home crowd.
- A star-studded field will be there in full force with Slinger champions such as Conrad Morgan, Lowell Bennett, and Luke Fenhaus squaring off with the likes of ARCA Midwest Tour regulars such as Ty Majeski, Casey Johnson, Dalton Zehr and several others.
- It will be a full card of racing with the Uptown Motorcars Pro Late Model, The Finish Line Bar & Grill Modifieds, Sportsman, Mueller’s Sales & Service Slinger Bees and the American Super Super Series will all be in action with the Super Late Models.
- Dennis Prunty will be one of the local drivers to watch. He posted two wins in 2021 and is a former track champion at Slinger Speedway.
- On July 12th Slinger Speedway (WI) will host the 43rd Annual Slinger Nationals. It's the track's premier event that is traditionally run on a Tuesday. The race is traditionally a 200-lap race.
- The 2021 season was a great one for Luke Fenhaus who became the first driver to win the track title and the Slinger Nationals in the same season since Lowell Bennett did in 2010.
- RacingAmerica.TV will have flag-to-flag coverage of feature racing on Sunday afternoon at Slinger Speedway. If you can’t be in the area, log on with your subscription and watch the races live.